About this course:
This course provides the fundamentals of communication and leadership in the sciences and technology, and professional development. Course sessions will combine theory, practice, self-assessment, and research by student teams.
- Oral and written communication skills for scientists
- Effective communication strategies
- Communication in a team environment
- Managerial role transitioning
- Building personal leadership capabilities
- Analyzing leadership qualities
Week 1: Introduction, Overview & Transition to Management
Week 2: Model of Leadership
Week 3: Leadership Styles
Week 4: Communication Strategies
Week 5: Power & Influence
Week 6: Leading Change & Innovation
Week 7-8: Motivation
Week 9: Performance Management
Week 10: Coaching Skills
Week 11: Conflict & Negotiation
Week 12: Problem Solving and Decision Making
Week 13: Teams
Week 14-15: Presentations
Written and oral presentations will be assigned. A final written report will be due at the end of this course.
The goal of this course is to combine theory, practice, self-assessment, and student team research.